Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Check out my "ride!"

My apologies for being MIA and not updating the blog. I have been super busy lately with school just around the corner...not to mention returning to work after 8 months away! YIKES! I also spent this past Sunday in a marathon day of driving to Indianapolis and back. We took Rachel back to college, got her moved into her sorority house, and spent the rest of the day buying out Target! Those of you that have taken a child to college know exactly what my day was like. For those of you that haven't reached that stage of your life yet...start saving your money now for move in day! LOL

I've now had 12 radiation treatments and so far so good. It's just stressful to be going and coming every single day, as well as getting there ON TIME! The treatment itself isn't painful, except keeping my left arm up over my head for 30 minutes isn't very "comfortable." Alas, I fear that the left side of my upper body will take quite some time to recover, and I've been told that it may never be the same. I will just have to adjust and get used to how it feels...or should I say how it DOESN'T feel since there is little sensation there. I have been asked quite often what the machine looks like that administers the radiation, so I thought that I'd let you see what it looked like.
Basically, I lie on my back on the bed of the machine. My body is kept in place by lying in a cradle that was molded to my body. I'm sent in, and the machine does the rest. I just lie there, sometimes listening to my iPod (it's broken now however) or just thinking about random things.
Today, I think I actually fell asleep for a little while because before I knew it, I was done! Remember the movie, "Ground Hog Day?" Where the exact same thing happens day in and day out? Well, that's exactly what this feels like. Same procedure, same people, just another day. But, this too shall pass. I am a little worried about teaching and receiving my treatment on the same day, but that won't happen until September 8, so I'll try not to worry about it right now. I will figure out a way to handle both at the same time. I may in bed at 6:00 PM but at least I'll get through it.

I now have 8 weeks worth of hair growth and everyone who sees me exclaims over how "LONG" it is. LOLOLOL I guess "long" is a relative term. I'm just happy that I'm no longer bald, so ANY hair to me is a welcome sight. I'll have to post a new hair pic soon.

Thanks for checking in. I'll try to not go so long before my next post.



  1. I love reading your posts! I learn a little, I laugh a little, and today I'm feeling so excited for you - going back to school and your "long" hair :) Thanks for the update!

  2. Right back at you "SweetDreams!" :) How's life in the real world without the cookie business??

  3. , sporty ride! You need some fuzzy dice!

    I am so excited for you that you will be able to get back into the swing of teaching. I can only imagine how thrilled everyone is going to be to see you!

    I met a woman the other day in the grocery store as we were both eyeing the nitrate-free bacon (Allie, my little carnivore has been begging). Well, we started chatting and she told me she shops organic as she has been cancer-free for a year (even showing me her scar - in a lady-like fashion, of course). This opens up the flood gate of me telling her all about my amazing friend, Joanne, and how you are going through radiation, your incredible sense of humor and how your hair is growing back. (Hers grew in very cute, by the way). We yapped up a storm, me smiling the whole time thinking of you. One thing she told me to pass on to you – vitamin D. You need to really make sure your levels are high enough as that can be a key factor. So, see… I think of you, though not usually in the meat aisle! :0)

  4. Tracy, you can think of me anywhere, anytime, but the MEAT AISLE!!! LOLOLOL I guess that will work too! Thanks for sharing my story and I will be running out to get some vitamin D tomorrow! I'm so glad you're my friend! :-)