Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Back to Reality

Hope everyone had a relaxing Memorial Day Weekend. It was a looong weekend for me, not much going on, although I did manage to finish yet another book. I also attended the local Parade yesterday and saw lots of familiar faces which was fun. Didn't do any barbequing either, the grill broke, and things just didn't work out. :-(

Today it's back to reality. I have a doctor's appointment at 1:30 and then it will be right into camp chemo for my treatment. I also have my appointment with my surgeon on Wednesday, hopefully she will be able to schedule my surgery after that appointment.

I am looking forward to the American Cancer Society's "Relay for Life" which is taking place at my local Middle School in a couple of weeks. Here are the details:

June 13th, 10 a.m. - June 14th, 10 a.m.
Pierce Middle School
Waterford, Michigan


Walk as little or as much as you can...
The goal is to have at least 1 team member walking the whole 24 hours.
This will be Waterford's 2nd year having Relay for Life in our town. Last year they knocked the socks off of the American Cancer Society by earning over double their intended goal!
It's one day - 24 hours. You can choose to stay at Pierce the entire time, walking sporadically, walk 1-2 hours on Saturday, stay all night in our base camp, come early Sunday morning....the choice is up to you. Our goal is to have 1 person from our team walking at all times...each taking turns during the 24 hours. There are no 'relay police'...however, cancer doesn't take a break so neither will our team. There are family activities for little ones during the day. We'll have our own base-camp with supplies, bedding, food and such. You can contribute as little or as much as you would like to it all.

Survivors: If you or someone you know survived cancer, please tell them about this event. They will want to participate in the opening ceremony, at least. This is to honor them and their loved ones

Key Times to know....
10:00 a.m. Relay for Life Kick-off - Cancer survivor victory lap
10:00 p.m. Luminaria - hundreds, thousands of lit candles with messages to love ones written on them incircle the track.

Can't walk, but want to donate?
1) Donate online to our team...click the link below and search for the team name Riverside Racers.

2) Purchase luminaria bags - $10/each. Decorate the bag in honor of your loved ones. Bags are displayed around the track at the luminaria ceremony Saturday night.


Everyone knows someone who is affected by cancer. Everyone walks for a different reason. Who will you relay for?


I've signed up to be a member of the team from my elementary school and can't wait to walk the "survivor's lap." Anyone reading this from Riverside Elementary that would like to join us is WELCOME! I'd love for you to walk with me. Please go to this link, and you can register online.

www.relayforlife.org/waterfordmi
Team: Riverside Racers


On the homepage, look at the sidebar on right that lists "Top Participants." At the bottom of that box click on "View Participants" and scroll way down to the bottom of the list, and click on Riverside Racers. You will see our page and you can join or donate here.

*Questions or additional information can be answered by Shannon Wikle (Team Captain) at
248-568-5940 or email her at : shannonwikle@aol.com

I'd LOVE to see you there, and welcome the support of EVERYONE to fight this deadly disease.

xoxo
Joanne

1 comment:

  1. I will be there!! Thanks for posting this Joanne. Anyone curious about Relay or not sure how they can get involved, please call me, write me or check out the relay website.
    It is a family event...children are welcome.

    :) Shannon Wikle

    ReplyDelete