Friday, January 23, 2009

2 hours and counting....

I actually had a pretty good night's sleep considering I was going to have my first chemo cocktail to look forward to in the morning. I had to wake up early (5:30 am) to go to the bathroom since my sister was a water nazi yesterday. I thought I'd be able to just "float" to chemo today with all of the water I took in yesterday. I was advised, and have been reading, that in order for chemo to go the smoothest, (ok...smooth chemo...that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one!) I need to take in a MINIMUM of two liters of water daily. Since I'm usually like a camel, and take only the briefest of drinks during the day, I thought my kidneys were going to explode yesterday from the massive water amounts I was drinking. (Not to mention the amount of time it took running to the bathroom every second of the day!) Luckily I fell back asleep and woke up again around 8:00, and AFTER my first cup of coffee, I'm drinking water yet again. I'll try to drink two bottles before I leave. My appointment is scheduled for 11:00 this morning. Carly, Jess, and my sis, Melissa, will be going with me to keep me entertained. (HA) Carly has some "pirated" movies on her laptop (we are NOT going to ask her how she already has Madagascar 2, and Slumdog Millionaire downloaded! She apparently has "her ways!") I'll take some reading material, and my "new to me" Ipod (thanks for your castoff Rach!) which Carly has ALSO downloaded music and books onto. (Now you all know why I don't need to be tech savy...why bother when Carly can do it for me! Too bad she has to go back to college this weekend.) I was also told to bring lunch with me, since I'll be there for three to four hours. Now, normally I'm not one to skip my lunch (or dinner, or dessert for that matter) but I'm thinking I just might not have my "normal appetite" as I'm being hooked up to drugs for four hours! Call me crazy, but it doesn't sound like it will cause one to work up an appetite! I'll let you know how that pans out.

That's it for now. I'll come back later today and let you know how everything goes. YES, I'm nervous and scared, but it's more from the unknown. Once I've actually gone through it, at least I'll know what to expect the next time (and we know there will be many next times). So, off I go into the "wild blue yonder," and I'm going to hang on tight because I know it's going to be a bumpy ride.
xoxoo
Joanne

7 comments:

  1. Joanne,,,you Go-GURL and kick that cancers butt.I'll be thinking of you today.
    Irv:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending hugs and prayers your way. I will be thinking about you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending my warmest thoughts and best wishes from VA as you start your fight today! We all know you have the strength to do it and a wonderful helping of a sense of humor as you go forward.

    Take care, Girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you go girl! i think your hair looks great short and i'm sure stacey and clinton would approve. someone will be blessed by your kindness and generousity. keep the water flowing and stay strong.

    karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stopped to pray before I rolled out of bed at 7 this morning just for you... i pray throughout the day and always at night, but this morning, was just for you :) Your appt time has already come and gone, I look forward to reading your next post. God Bless you Joanne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joanne,

    The short hair looks great! I'm sending my thoughts your way...stay strong and God Bless you!

    Caron Whitener

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Joanne,
    The short hair reminds me of how you looked 20 years ago! I know that the road will be bumpy but please know that you are not alone. I am praying for your full recovery and I am here for you whatever you need.
    Stay strong my dear friend.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete